October 31, 2011

Carving Pumpkins

I have, for at least the entire time my children have been alive, allowed Shawn to operate under the assumption that I am completely inept in the pumpkin carving department. Every year my dad would invite us over for carving fun, and my mom and I would leave the room as the men carved.

This year, though, my dad sent his professional carving tools and two massive pumpkins to our house. Shawn offered to carve them both, mentioning that I'm "tiny" and "not strong enough." (Maybe don't marry Tiny Tim Cratchit. God bless us, everyone.) But I knew from my teen years that I was fully capable of carving a pumpkin.

Shawn carved his first, deciding on Super Meat Boy at our eight year old's request. I went next with a slightly more traditional design. We sat on a tarp, in front of the fireplace, while Shaun of the Dead played and thus a new tradition was born.



No comments: